Wednesday 4 December 2013

Simon Dawes - Interviewing the Founder/Owner of ODM

An Interview with the Founder/Owner of ODM

We were finally able to book time into Simon Dawes busy schedule to arrange an interview with him.

There were various points to cover and various highlights from this.
We aim to release these articles over the next week or so, with snippets of the interview within.

First off, we asked Simon to tell us a bit about the 'roots' of ODM Ltd, and how it was founded.



How did it all start?


"Well my first involvement in Field Marketing was taking some temporary work whilst studying Estate Management in 1992. The money was far better than the usual bar/restaurant work and was more sociable hours. My job consisted of sales/promotions for banks and credit card companies at sporting event and exhibitions– basically the job that most of odm’s field staff do today!

At the end of my studies I fell into working full time for the same agency, hoping to earn enough money to travel and fish around South America. Somehow I must have impressed them and the next thing I know is I am commuting daily from Warwickshire to Hertfordshire, working at head office as an Account Manager for the GM Card, the first ever UK co-brand credit card!

Things progressed and travel plans were ditched, Estate Management fell off the radar and my career in Field Marketing began in earnest. Over four years I progressed to become an Account Director running a number of key accounts and then was sent to Scotland for six months to set up a new office. I met my future wife who was a Sales Manager for the same company and everything was looking great on the surface.
However, behind the scenes there were problems with the business and morale was not good.

The end result was the owners of the business deserting the sinking ship and leaving employees floundering. The inevitable happened and the business folded leaving all of the office and field staff unpaid and redundant.

After spending a week unpaid, explaining to an angry group of staff the situation and trying to help the field team recover their money, I decided I had a looming priority – a big wedding in two weeks time that needed paying for!!"


So what do you think of that? Did you know all of that?
Next time we will follow on with what took place next.


For more information about ODM Ltd please visit our site www.odmltd.com

No comments:

Post a Comment